Hope your weekend has been spectacular!
I took a stroll in the Wissahickon this morning with the crisp air, the colors and some other wise humans enjoying this incredible fall weather.
The night before, I attended the wedding of a high school friend. As small talk gets to going, I found myself being asked why people come in for acupuncture and I was actually quite surprised by my response. See, when I started my practice, 90% of my patients came in for pain related disorders. But now, 15 years later, I would say 60-70% of my patients come in for 1 symptom...anxiety.
So many of us are stressed to the max and our nervous systems are simply overwhelmed. Acupuncture initially gained fame for it’s ability to treat pain effectively, but more and more research shows undeniable results with anxiety.
As my patients know, treating anxiety is possible through the powerful healing partnership that is developed. Half of the work required to remedy anxiety is done in the treatment room. The other 50%, and perhaps the most important for long term results, comes from little choices we make every day.
Below are 5 examples of small changes we can all make to help when we feel overwhelmed, have a tight or heavy chest, and/or have obsessive thought patterns.
1. Remember anxiety is a symptom of something else. Your heart beating rapidly and your head starting to swim is an alarm signal. Our body/mind is getting is to pay attention to something. Your body is wise, and your symptoms are teachers. What do you think they are trying to teach you?
2. Breathe Deep. Even if you don't feel like it, and perhaps especially when you don’t feel like it. If you can’t do a few minutes, just take 1 deep breath. It will change your body’s chemistry to help bring balance to the nervous and endocrine systems.
3. Cut out refined sugar. This drug has become so accepted in society it’s hard to see it for what it is. Try cutting out sugar and see for yourself the DRAMATIC effects on your symptoms.
4. Drink More Water. To stay properly hydrated, you should drink 1/2 your bodyweight in ounces of water each day. You will be amazed at what not being dehydrated does to you!
5. Get Good Sleep. Our bodies are very responsive to the basics: Sleep in a pitch black room, turn off your screens an hour or 2 before bed. Go to bed when you FIRST get tired (even if its 7:30 pm)! And know that it’s natural to sleep more in the winter and less in the summer.
If you don’t live under the thumb of anxiety but feel your quality of life could be better, try implementing these recommendations just for this week. See what changes...maybe nothing....maybe EVERYTHING!
Till next time have an amazing week!
P.S. Please join our next 10 day challenge (see below) for your chance of winning an amazing prize! And our Yoga&Sound class is steadily filling...please sign up if you are interested!
P.P.S. Book online for Acupuncture, Massage, or Energy Work
5 Things I have been enjoying this week....
1. Fall strolling with family and friends on Forbidden Drive
2. Bike riding with Luna on our new "tandem bike".
3. Ate at the newish Pho Street in Bryn Mawr...YUM & Soups and warm foods will help keep us healthy and cold free right now!
4. Getting all fancy 007 style for a friend's wedding..hers my best bald James bond impression...
5. Making YUMMY Paleo CHILI in the crock pot.
heres the recipe:
brown 2 lbs grass fed ground beef, 1 red onion, and 3 cloves garlic
put it in a crock pot with 2-3 TB of each Chili powder, coriander, parsley, cumin, oregano, fresh cilantro, chopped celery and carrots, 24 oz of crushed tomatoes, 1 sweet pepper, Salt and Pepper, and Jalapeño (if you like spicy ).
Let it all cook on low for 4-5 hours. Top it with some roasted sunflower seeds and ENJOY!!
Also if there is something you have been enjoying that i should check out, please share it on our Facebook page or email me!
10 Day Challenge
Nov. 15 - 24
Virtual - from anywhere!
10 Day Kindness Challenge (lets get healthy together series)
“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” ― Dalai Lama
I was inspired recently by the Dalai Lama to be more kind. What an amazing challenge! What is life like when we consistently focus on being kind?...well thats what this 10 day challenge is designed to answer! Here is what we are going to do! ... read more
Join Us to celebrate the HALLOWEEN Full MOON with this special Kundalini Yoga & Healing Session. The first half of the class is dedicated to opening, stretching, expanding and raising our energy through Kundalini Yoga. During the second half... read more
New To Acupuncture? Read What to Expect