by Lance Isakov, L.Ac.
As someone who has struggled with anxiety, the 3 part breathing technique and me are best buds. It really helps to bring instantaneous calm to moments of stress, anxiety, and overwhelm. I have taught this breath to hundreds of patients, it's simple, potent, and brings a calm focus when done right.
The 3 part breath is actually a teaching tool to make use of you entire lung. The lungs go from the bottom of the rib cage all the way up to the collar bone. Our goal is to fill the entire lung in a smooth and easy breath.
- Sit up comfortably and easily, breathing gently through your nose.
- Imagine your belly is like a bellow. as you expand your belly the breath falls in and as you pull your navel center in and up the breath pushes out.
- PART 1 - Belly - Place a hand over the belly button. Now as you expand your belly allow the breath to fall in. Hold briefly and exhale by squeezing the navel center towards the spine.
- PART 2. Chest- Place a hand on your chest. Do Part 1. Hold. Now inhale even more by expanding the upper chest. Hold gently and exhale, chest then belly.
- PART 3. Colar Bone. Part 1 Inhale. Hold. Part 2 Inhale. Hold. Then inhale a tiny bit more into the very top of the lungs under the collar bone. You will notice that the heart center wants to lift and the shoulders want to drop down and back. Exhale!
- PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER. Without holding, Inhale Part 1, Inhale part 2, Inhale Part 3, Exhale part 3, 2, and 1. You will have a smooth breath that fills the entire lung.
- Continue for 3-5 minutes or as long as you are comfortable.