What are the benefits of a grateful outlook? A study (PDF), by the Universities of California and Miami set out to examine just that. Here is what they found.
1. Weekly Graditute. One study focused on people who were to write down, on a weekly basis, 5 things they were grateful for from the previous week. They found that "weekly benefit listing was associated with more positive and optimistic appraisals of one’s life, more time spent exercising, and fewer reported physical symptoms."
2. Daily Graditude. In Study 2, people were asked to complete a survey every evening regarding what they were grateful for. This group had even more positive affects including more interpersonal benefits. "People led to focus on their blessings were also more likely to report having helped someone with a personal problem or offered emotional support to another, suggesting prosocial motivation as a consequence of the gratitude induction."
3. NMD and Gratidude. The third study focused on people with Neuromuscular Disease. They were also asked to report their gratidutes daily. The results were "in greater levels of positive affect, more sleep, better sleep quality, and greater optimism and a sense of connectedness to others. In Study 3, we even found that the gratitude intervention led to reductions in negative affect."
Viewing entries in
This morning, I overheard Luna (my 5 year old) ask her mom, "Why are some people mean?" to which Amy responded "They forget that we are all connected."
I thought this was the most amazing response. And the more I thought about it the more profound it became. Violence and hatred stem from disconnection, from separation. We fear the other, the one who is different, the one we don't know.
With such horrible violence happening around the world what can we, as individuals, do to help?
I think one powerful way is through fostering the remembrance of connection; connection to self, connection to other, to neighbor, to stranger, to animal, to plant, to rock, to earth, to the universe.
These are my thoughts of the moment.
With love and remembrance,
We have selected our winner for our August Eat More greens Challenge! Congratulations to Maura! Thanks to Maura we have added a new PRIZE! which is a Copy of Meditate Everyone! 10 Day virtual Meditation Course. Maura lives in Colorado so the treatment prizes weren't ideal =)
Heres another chance to win!
Our next Challenge is up!
Here is your opportunity to feel even more amazing with a SIMPLE and POWERFUL Practice AND enter to win a prize!
BONUS for members (folks on getting this email):
For this one I will enter your name into the raffle additional times for every participant you invite! just have your invited friends add your name into the notes when they register.
Enjoy this beautiful moment and have a powerful and profound week!
Lots of love,
P.S. thank you to everyone who responded to my Late Summer Letter - It seemed that I was not alone in my current feelings of un-productivity =) And that its a great reminder to be kind to ourselves =)
1. THROUGH DEC 7th. 100% of Lance's Online Meditation Program proceeds will be donated to Meditate to Educate which helps to fund educational and community developmental programs in Guatemala. There is no better time to start the meditating!! MORE INFO
We have 2 kinds of Gift Cards this year that can both be purchased online:
2. Gift Card for a Special 1 hour Relaxation Acupuncture Treatment.
These Relaxation treatments are unique as they are not part of our regular services and are only offered in the form of a gift. The sessions are aimed at creating a very deep state ease in your body and mind. You will leave with a refreshed nervous system, where little things don't bother you and you no longer feel overwhelmed! The perfect gift for that stressed out someone =) PURCHASE
Have a fantastic giving day and let us know if you have any questions!!
Lots of Love,
The Wayne Family Wellness Collective
Lance, Amy, Andrea, Jenni Kay, & Joana